Dangerous myths that enslave you
“For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived, and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic. Too often we hold fast to the clichés of our forebears. We subject all facts to a prefabricated set of interpretations. We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
— President John F. Kennedy, commencement address, Yale University, 1963
Here is my selection of our six most dangerous Myths:
- Everyone needs a SSN to live or work in the United States
- Divorce cancels a marriage
- If you work you are liable for income tax on your wages
- Children are property of the State. Therefore you must get a birth certificate, get an SSN, vaccinate and register for school,
- Congress can pass any Amendment even if it violates their oath of office. Because the Constitution is a living document, and we all agreed to commit mutiny.
- Everyone needs a driver’s license to “drive” down the road. I put the word in quotes because it is a legal term that everyone misuses. Never confess to driving unless you actually are driving.
All the proof you need is on this website.
“It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.”
— Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, 1782
“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”
— a common saying, often attributed falsely to Mark Twain.