Courage is a rare human trait. All other righteous wonderful traits depend on courage. Honesty, kindness, loyalty / commitment, integrity, selflessness all depend on courage. Without courage other traits will not prevail.
All societies throughout history have had a few brave people who died standing against evil.
- 300 Greeks stood against 100,000 Persian invaders.
- A thousand Jewish refugees were killed by Romans at Masada.
- Hundreds of Christians refused to bow to Roman Emperors and were fed to the lions.
- William Tell refused to salute Judge Geissler, who immediately sentenced him to death. We would not have a Switzerland if he obeyed the judge.
- William Wallace refused to pledge allegiance to the King of England. He was executed.
- In 1536 William Tyndayle was executed for the crime of translating the Bible into English.
- In the 1550s Catholic Queen Mary executed six mothers for teaching the Lord’s Prayer to their children.
- Hundreds of Amish stood against the Catholics who burned them at the stake.
- British Quakers were torn apart by teams of horses.
- American Quakers were executed in Massachusetts up to the 1850s.
- 180+ Americans defended the Alamo against 2,400 Mexicans for about 20 minutes.
But you surrendered immediately without even questioning that you were being tricked out of your God-given rights.
3. Oh, beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife,
Who more than self their country loved,
And mercy more than life!
May God thy gold refine,
Till all success be nobleness,
And every gain divine.
:===: :===: :===:
You consented to be governed.
:===: :===: :===:
Stand, because when you stand, others will stand with you. And God can’t stand with you if you don’t stand. Once you stand you can expect the hand of providence to be over you. No matter how it ends, it matters how you stand.”
— Levoy Finicum
“But he that shall endure to the end, the same shall be saved.”
— Christ, Matthew 24:13
You may be interested in my essay When must Christians obey government?
And don’t miss my discussion of failing to stand firm in my article What is Liberty?